If you’ve read the book or seen the movie, The Help then you know about Minny’s famous chocolate pie that everyone loves. Of course I’m talking about the version without her shit in it. I’m not much of a pie maker, but since it is National Pi Day I decided to give it a whirl!
The recipe I found is super simple, and while my pie didn’t turn out as pretty as I had hoped, it sure did end up being delicious! I also forgot to get the ingredients for whipped cream so we enjoyed it without, but it honestly didn’t need it. This fudgy pie was a huge hit and it’s creamy filling made it easy to enjoy without whipped cream!
If you feel like trying it out here’s the recipe…you won’t regret it!
- 1 packaged pie crust (I used Pillsbury) or you can make from scratch
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- whipped cream to serve.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Ease the dough into the pie plate and gently fold the extra dough over and pinch the edges decoratively.
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, butter, eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla and salt until smooth.
3. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 45 minutes, or until the filling is set around the edges but a little jiggly in the center. Cover the crust with strips of foil 15 minutes into baking to prevent over-browning.
4. Cool the pie on a rack before cutting. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Happy National Pi Day everyone! I hope you enjoy this recipe…I’m off to watch The Help while enjoying another slice of Minny’s Famous Chocolate Pie!
Here are a few things I recommend getting from this post:
The Help (book) // Glass Pie Plate, 9.5-Inch // Duralex Stackable Glass Bowl Set, 2 oz // Airtight Chalkboard Canister Jar (Set of 3) // Sur La Table Copper-Plated Measuring Spoons // Mud Pie Mixing Bowl Set, White // Classic Wood Rolling Pin // Cloth Napkins, Blush